Israel Folau was left a "frustrated" spectator during the New South Wales Waratahs' 28-16 defeat by the Western Force after the Australian Rugby Union controversially pulled the fullback from the Super Rugby match out of fears for his safety.
Having missed two games with a throat injury, the 15-cap Wallaby had been reinstated into Michael Cheika's side for the Perth clash after being cleared to play by the Waratahs' team doctor and a specialist.
The ARU's chief medical officer Warren McDonald sought a second opinion, however, and overruled his selection late on Friday, leaving Cheika to break the bad news to his charge and re-jig his gameplan on the eve of the match.
Folau said he had had no contact with the ARU "the whole week", even as he trained in full-contact sessions with the Waratahs.
Before the match he said he was extremely disappointed and frustrated by the ARU's decision to rule him out.
McDonald said in a statement the ARU would continue to work on a "plan" to get Folau back as soon as possible, but the 25-year-old was left with no idea when that might be.