19 Nov 2010

'Toxic' smell causes partial building evacuation

4:50 pm on 19 November 2010

Workers were evacuated from an office building in downtown Auckland on Friday after vomiting and fainting.

Eight people from the Tower building on Fanshawe Street were taken to a medical centre for further treatment.

They reported a toxic smell on the fourth floor.

The fire service cleared the building for re-entry after being unable to trace the source with gas detectors.

It believes a faulty refrigerator may be the cause.