11 Jun 2015

Woman rescued from house fire

11:17 am on 11 June 2015

Firefighters have pulled an unconscious woman from burning house in a dramatic rescue in Auckland.

The Fire Service says the blaze started in the kitchen of the Otara home and spread to the roof while the woman was asleep in bed.

The house in Otara.

The house in Otara. Photo: RNZ / Diego Opatowski

Crews arrived just after 2am at the Gilbert Road house, where the roof was engulfed in flames.

Station officer Richard Knight said a man who lived there and had suffered burns told them a woman was still in the house.

Firefighters put on breathing gear and enter the house, where they found the woman in the bedroom and dragged her outside.

She was treated for smoke inhalation but did not need to go to hospital.

Mr Knight said it appeared the fire started from some cooking that was not being attended.

Investigators will return to the house this morning.