18 Feb 2015

Fire service warns of death from student revelling

1:31 pm on 18 February 2015

A Dunedin fire service commander is warning someone could be killed by the stupidity of university revellers.

A fire at a student flat in the middle of the night burned a porch and a bedroom of a house in Leith Street.

East Otago commander Laurence Voight said someone set fire to the couch, the flames broke a window and the fire spread into a bedroom.

Mr Voight said a young woman in the bedroom got out safely, but it could have been much more serious.

He said random acts of stupidity by student orientation revellers could lead to someone being seriously hurt or killed.

Mr Voight said people send their young people to Dunedin to be educated and it had to be safe for them.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs