14 Mar 2014

Fire at central Auckland building

7:07 pm on 14 March 2014

The Fire Service is inspecting damage to a central Auckland apartment building after a blaze in a kitchen on Friday afternoon.

The 15-storey building on Hobson Street was evacuated about 4.15pm after a fire started in a restaurant on the ground floor.

When emergency services arrived, one of the restaurant managers had been trying to put out the fire himself. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. No one else was hurt.

Senior Station Manager Barry Fox said there is smoke and water damage to the building and it's unclear what started the fire.

About a dozen fire engines attended and part of Hobson Street had to be closed off for a time.