11 Feb 2013

Warning issued after toxic algae found in river

9:45 pm on 11 February 2013

The Canterbury Medical Officer of Health has issued a warning against swimming in the Selwyn River in the area immediately downstream from the Glentunnel campsite, after toxic blue-green algae were found.

Boiling the water has no effect on the algae and people are being warned against drinking it or letting their dogs swim in the river.

Exposure to the algae can cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips.