Labour is renewing its calls for a Government inquiry into safety in the forestry industry, following the death of a man in the Kinleith forest near Tokoroa at about 5am on Friday.
The death toll this year is now six. The toll in 2012 was six for the whole year.
The forestry industry has the highest rate of workplace fatalities in New Zealand.
Labour's health and safety spokesperson Darien Fenton said tougher regulations are needed.
Forest Industry Contractors Association chief executive John Stulen said the organisation and the Forest Owners Association two weeks ago agreed to commission an independent review of safety.
The Council of Trade Unions also wants a Government inquiry.
CTU president Helen Kelly said a code of practice that was announced at the end of last year does not include maximum hours of work.