30 Jan 2012

Morning Report: local papers

6:49 am on 30 January 2012

Monday's headlines: teenager was married without her consent and held hostage for months in a house in Newtown; boy hailed a hero after discovering his parents were electrocuted in a paddock on their farm; ships blamed for erosion near the entrance to Otago Harbour.

NZ Herald

The New Zealand Herald describes how a boy is being hailed a hero by police, after discovering his father had been electrocuted in a paddock on their North Canterbury farm.

Ethan Walker, aged seven, dashed back home and rang for help after his father Brendon was killed when he rode his quad bike over a power line carrying more than 1000 volts.

The paper also reports the boyfriend of a Waikato woman whose 6-month-old daughter Serenity Jay Scott-Dinnington died of non-accidental injuries in April last year, will appear in court in Hamilton on Monday charged with murder.

Waikato Times

The Waikato Times also reports on the murder charge. It says Serenity's mother and her partner both 21, were taken to the Hamilton Police station for questioning on Sunday afternoon, where the young man was subsequently charged.

Organisers of the Parachute music festival deny the event is in trouble. Founder Mark de Jong says a last-minute chance for families to pay what they could afford for a ticket in response to the tough economic climate, has been misconstrued as a sign the festival is encountering problems.

Dominion Post

The Dominion Post features a story about a Pakistani teenager who was married in 2010 without her consent and was held hostage for months in a house in the suburb of Newtown. The paper says the teenager, 17, finally escaped and has since had her marriage annulled.

The paper also reports one of the two men charged in connection with a fatal stabbing in Lower Hutt, has a father who is a convicted killer. Aaron Anthony Hadfield died from a single stab wound to the chest when he was attacked in his car in Logie St, Stokes Valley, on Thursday night.

The Press

The Press reports Christchurch City Council chief executive Tony Marryatt was awarded a $68,000 pay rise, despite a steady decline in his performance reviews.

The paper also carries the story of Ethan Walker who ran for help after his father was electrocuted and his mother seriously injured by a fallen powerline. Constable John Eagle of Culverden, says everyone is impressed with the bravery of the young boy. Mr Eagle says despite being confronted by everyone's worst nightmare, Ethan had the presence of mind to run for help.


The Otago Daily Times says big ships are being blamed for erosion near the entrance to Otago Harbour. The paper says residents are calling for action to save homes, amid claims waves from passing cruise ships and container carriers are making the problem worse.

A woman whose broken back was misdiagnosed at Dunedin hospital's emergency department as abrasions and bruises, says the department must get the extra specialists that doctors say it needs.