A firefighter who suffered serious burns in a blaze at a New Plymouth chicken shed has been transferred to Waikato Hospital for further treatment.
His colleague has moderate burns at remains at Taranaki Base Hospital. Both firefighters are in a stable condition on Thursday.
The men were looking for the source of the fire when they were caught in a flash-over, which immediately engulfed the shed in flames.
Taranaki Fire Service assistant area manager Hamish Smith says the men were knocked off their feet by the heat and flames, but despite their injuries they managed to help each other to safety.