2 Feb 2010

Harbour group urges opposition to sewage consent

5:17 pm on 2 February 2010

A lobby group is urging people to oppose resource consent for continued sewage spills in Whangarei harbour.

Submissions close on Thursday on an application by the Whangarei District Council for consent to continue discharging waste into the harbour in floods and other emergencies.

It says the work it is doing on pumping stations and the Whangarei treatment plant will reduce spills to one in five years.

But Save Our Harbour says that defies belief. It says there were 45 overflows last year and Whangarei harbour was closed last week after a caused by a blocked sewer.

It says the council needs a programme to maintain the city's aging sewers and stop stormwater getting into the system.