25 Aug 2009

Death of dog due to natural causes

10:00 pm on 25 August 2009

The Auckland Regional Council says the recent death of a dog at Stanmore Bay is not related to incidents of toxic poisoning at eastern beaches in Auckland.

A post mortem has revealed the dog died of natural causes.

The dog was believed to have been the fifth casualty of a toxic poison affecting the region's coastline.

Scientists have discovered sea slugs containing the deadly toxin, tetrodotoxin, which is believed to be responsible for the deaths of several dogs and various marine life.

Meanwhile, Auckland regional public health service says it has had reports of people becoming ill after visiting beaches in the area but says there is no clear link to the toxin scare.