26 Dec 2017

Child airlifted to hospital from Milford

8:46 pm on 26 December 2017

A child was taken to Southland Hospital after it was feared they had eaten toxic tutu berries.

young tutu plant

Photo: RNZ / Lauren Baker

The native plant, which contains the toxin tutin, can cause vomiting, tremors and seizures.

A St John spokesperson said a child was flown to Southland Hospital just before 8pm yesterday from the Milford Sound area.

They said the child was taken as a precaution.

In 2008 22 people were poisoned by honeycomb, which contains the tutin toxin produced when bees gather honeydew made by an insect on tutu bushes.