16 Feb 2015

Company fined after worker found passed out

8:41 pm on 16 February 2015

A waterproofing company has been fined more than $30,000 after a worker was found unconscious in a grain silo after being overcome by toxic fumes.

The worker spent more than six hours applying primer in the silo without a suitable respirator.

He was found unconscious and unresponsive in the silo near the end of the day and taken to hospital.

The company, Gunac Hawke's Bay, pleaded guilty in the Hastings District Court for failing to take all practicable steps to ensure that its employee was not exposed to hazardous fumes in a confined space.

As well as the nearly $34,000 fine, Gunac was ordered to pay reparation of $2500 to the worker.