1 Aug 2014

Studio fire caused by electrical fault

8:36 pm on 1 August 2014

The Fire Service says a major fire at the Auckland Film Studios in Henderson was sparked by an electrical fault.

The fire-damaged Auckland Film Studios.

The fire-damaged Auckland Film Studios. Photo: RNZ / Rowan Quinn

The fire at the buildings in Henderson began about midnight Wednesday and at its height 18 appliances and about 60 firefighters worked to get it under control.

The blaze happened in a studio housing props and equipment for the film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 and was caused by an electrical fault on a wall in the studio, Fire Service investigator Chris Lewis said on Friday.

The studio was extensively damaged and some of the items inside burnt. It is owned by the Auckland Council.