3 Jul 2014

Gas leak forces hotel evacuation

8:39 am on 3 July 2014

A gas leak at a large hotel in Nelson forced the evacuation of 98 people.

The Fire Service said someone from the hotel reported what appeared to be smoke filling the gym and bar at the Rutherford Hotel at 11pm on Wednesday.

Fire crews discovered refrigeration gas had leaked out. The gas can cause skin irritation and breathing problems.

The hotel was evacuated, and crews from Nelson, Stoke and Richmond wearing specialist gas suits and breathing apparatus worked for two-and-a-half hours to isolate the leak and make it safe.