15 May 2014

Auckland peroxide leak controlled

10:05 am on 15 May 2014

The Fire Service says it has neutralised a poisonous gas that had leaked at an Auckland clothing factory.

About 30 staff have been evacuated from the Takanini School Road site where hydrogen peroxide gas escaped from a drum.

A spokesperson said a staff member phoned the Fire Service and said the drum was bubbling and fizzing.

The Fire Service said staff from the clothing factory were being decontaminated.

A small section of the road was closed and businesses on either side of the factory chose to move out staff.