11 Mar 2014

Tandoori fire sparks evacuation

5:16 pm on 11 March 2014

A building had to be evacuated on Tuesday afternoon after a restaurant oven caught fire in central Wellington.

A Fire Service spokesperson says the blaze started in a tandoori oven on the upper floor of the restaurant in Cambridge Terrace.

Four fire trucks attended the fire, which is now out.

The spokesperson said the blaze is not being treated as suspicous and no one was injured.

Firefighters at the Cambridge Terrace building.

Firefighters at the Cambridge Terrace building. Photo: RNZ / Jonathan Mitchell