28 Dec 2013

Bugs bite woman 300 times

3:50 pm on 28 December 2013

A night in an Auckland motel has left a woman with an allergic reaction after she was bitten 300 times by bed bugs.

Debbie Roome of Christchurch says she woke in the night to see the bugs running across the sheets, and caught two of them to show the motel's proprietor.

In the morning, she was covered in red welts that haven't faded almost two weeks later.

Ms Roome says medical appointments, prescriptions and an extra night in Auckland after she was told she could not fly have cost her more than $300. She says the motel should pay the full amount, but so far it has paid less than half.