Former Black Cap Chris Cairns says he is dismayed and shocked by media speculation he's under investigation for cheating.
Overseas and local reports have named Cairns as one of three former Black Caps involved in an investigation by the International Cricket Council into match-fixing.
The ICC says its anti-corruption and security unit has been working closely with domestic anti-corruption units to investigate the accusations for some months. New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White confirmed on Thursday that three former players are being investigated but would not reveal their names.
Former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent said he was cooperating with the inquiry and could not comment further. He said his privacy needs to be respected.
Last year, Chris Cairns successfully sued Lalit Modi of the Indian Premier League for defamation after he accused the allrounder of match-fixing.
He said his heart sank when he heard his name linked to the investigation and no-one one from the International Cricket Council, New Zealand Cricket or the Players Association has contacted him about the probe.
"I've been through a very arduous process in England last year and I stand by that. With regards to what's occurred now, I'd just like to reiterate the fact that I've spoken to nobody from any of those anti-corruption (units) or ICC."
Sports lawyer Tim Castle, a former New Zealand representative to the International Cricket Council anti-corruption unit, players clearly haven't yet been given a chance to respond in detail.
"Until such time as the evidence reaches a threshold of having a case to answer, and even beyond that, they must of course be considered absolutely innocent unless proven guilty," he told Radio New Zealand's Nine to Noon programme.