27 Aug 2012

Girl dead after taking gas

5:12 am on 27 August 2012

Police in Christchurch are trying to find out who sold butane gas to a teenage girl who they believe died after inhaling it.

She was in a group of young women in a park in Upper Riccarton just before 5pm on Saturday, when paramedics were called to the scene.

The matter has now been handed to the coroner and the police are making inquiries in the area to find out who may have sold the gas to the teenager.

Cherie Storey, who lives over the road from the park, says the ambulance crew performed CPR on the 17-year-old for half an hour before taking her away.

She says she heard a woman screaming 'don't let her die'.

Ms Storey says a group of girls had gathered at the park and appeared to be inhaling what looked like gas from canisters.

Cherie Storey, who has four teenagers, says it's sad the girl has died and can't believe it has happened on her doorstep.

The coroner has reviewed 30 deaths from inhaling butane gas in the past five years.