A methamphetamine overdose has been blamed for the death of a Wellington woman who a coroner says was otherwise happy and healthy and whose family had no idea of her drug use.
Lisa McMillan, 39, was the lead underwriter for the insurance firm AXA when she was found dead in her home in January 2010.
Coroner Ian Smith says the level of methamphetamine found in Miss McMillan's system borders between recreational use and fatal overdose.
Mr Smith said she had no history of drug or alcohol abuse, was in good health, engaged to be married and had no obvious stress in her life.
The coroner ruled her death it was due to a brain haemorrhage as a result of methamphetamine toxicity. He did not make any recommendations following the death.
A drugs educator says the death shows the drug is not something consigned to the underworld.
Managing director of the anti-drugs consultancy Methcon Group, Dale Kirk, says the death should be a wake-up call not to under-estimate the drug.