A former All Black who has been convicted for assaulting his 11 year old son with a belt will not face any penalty.
The man, who is in his forties, has name suppression to protect the identity of the victim.
In the Auckland District Court on Wednesday, Judge Tony Fitzgerald convicted the man for assault despite a defence submission that the consequences of a conviction would outweigh the gravity of the incident.
However, he said he was not imposing a penalty because the man had no previous convictions and because of his contribution to the community.
The man earlier pleaded guilty to the charge.
In court documents obtained by Radio New Zealand the man said he was at the end of his tether when he assaulted the boy in September last year.
Judge Fitzgerald told the court the man used his belt to strike the boy around the legs and on his shoulders, leaving bruising noticed by the boy's school.
The man has since completed counselling and an anger management course.
The judge said if the man reoffended within the next six months he would be brought before the courts.