A live televised debate about the demolition of ChristChurch Cathedral is to be held next week.
The cathedral was severely damaged in the devastating earthquake in February last year and continues to deteriorate as tremors occur.
Anglican Bishop Victoria Matthews announced on Friday that the church would be pulled down to a height of two to three metres to ensure people's safety.
Christchurch City Councillor Aaron Keown says a live TV debate has been arranged for next Monday night from 7pm and is confident the Anglican Church will agree to participate.
Mr Keown says numerous engineers have refuted the church's claims that the cathedral is beyond saving and a debate will give the people of Christchurch closure.
Mayor Bob Parker says while there is a clear plan to bring the building down, what is not clear is what will replace it and in what form.
He says the Anglican Church needs to understand that people will want to know what is going to happen to the central city site.
Mr Parker says he has already voiced his concerns to Bishop Matthews.