Papua New Guinea police confirm they are investigating reports that about 30 armed soldiers went on a rampage in a settlement at 5-Mile Ridge in Port Moresby on Sunday morning.
The incident has been reported locally as a revenge attack after a soldier had earlier been beaten.
The newspaper, The National, says household furniture and food gardens were destroyed and a car damaged by the soldiers.
The police spokesman, Superintendent Dominic Kakas, says their understanding is that the incident happened.
"At this point in time we are speaking to the people who have been victimised and getting their statements, and then from there we will take whatever action needs to be taken."
The Defence Force Chief of Staff, Captain Tom Ur, says they do not know about the attack but are conducting their own investigation.
He says if there were any offences committed by soldiers it is up to the police to take action.