More than 1,000 students at Tafuna Elementary School in American Samoa were evacuated yesterday after an underground wire burst causing a small explosion.
School Principal Puleai Fa'isamoa Aloese said school had just getting started when she and other administrators heard a loud bang and then saw a small fire at the rear of the campus.
Puleai said a decision was then made to have the school execute its fire evacuation drill.
She said no one was harmed and all the students returned to class after power was restored.
Meanwhile, the American Samoa Power Authority says an underground service wire, ripped by an excavation project for the Education Department, was the cause of the explosion.