The US Environmental Protection Agency has disposed of 30 cylinders of ammonia which posed a threat to residents in two American Samoan villages.
The cylinders were found abandoned two years ago in a warehouse belonging ot a shipping agent for an Asian owned fishing agent.
An agency official, Chris Weden, says the ammonia put lives at risk in Laulii and nearby villages.
"The valves could have started leaking and the ammonia is a toxic gas. We were able to safely transfer those cylinders from that residential area to a remote site out here by the airport."